Below are links to all the 2017 weekly digest roundup posts grouped with high level seasonal themes along with summary highlights from each.
- 23 – Artificial Intelligence at Work (07.07.17):
- 22 – Compassion and the Future (30.06.17):
- 21 – Hyperobjects in the Anthropocene (22.06.17):
- 20 – Something Rotten (14.06.17):
- 19 – The Economic Singularity (07.06.17): Technological unemployment and the coming economic singularity, AlphaGo, how AI is inadvertently supporting physiognomy, Andy Rubin’s Essential Phone, Nokia 3310 redux, Apache Kafka as a microservice message bus, the death of Steve Jobs, digital distraction, Radiohead’s OK Computer 20 years on, trust in the UK press is rock-bottom, Jeremy Corbyn is doing better than many think, Scott Atran on youth disillusion, Rolling Stone on Trump.
- 18 – Unexceptionalism (28.05.17): Brexit is a negation and nothing will come of nothing for Britain, a16z AI playbook, Homo Deus, Amazon is ‘future-proof’, Amazon bananas, Amazon Go, the future of cloud, Kotlin, Law of Demeter, how to set the technical direction for your team, how to stay calm, why your company is who you hire and fire.
- 17 – Accelerationism (16.05.17): The world the Accelerationists willed has come to pass, Sebald’s Rings of Saturn as balm, Ravn, a16z on the promise of AI, Jeff Bezos’s fireside chat, Google’s Project Treble, 2 billion Android devices, design sprints, cognitive radio, soil, fake news and Larry Elliott on Labour’s solid manifesto.
- 16 – A Sense of Urgency (07.05.17): Superhuman AI is either coming or not, Amazon’s scale and reach, Samsung DeX, Blackberry KEYone, walking and dementia, standing desks, wasting time, Python GIL, Keras, Cambridge Analytica and the Great Brexit Robbery.
- 15 – Decades of Pain (28.04.17): Technological unemployment will lead to decades of pain, dystopian visions of the future are in, so is the Simulation Hypothesis, LSTMs, keep on running, the 5 dysfunctions of a team, Netflix, Bullitt, product roadmaps, Shenzen, Jeremy Corbyn, the scatterbrain of Donald Trump, Primo Levi’s If This Is A Man 70 years on
- 14 – Neural Lace (20.04.17): Elon Musk’s Neuralink is going to build a wizard hat for mortals, the road to immortality, blockchain and AI, Google’s TPU, DeepMind’s Sonnet library, Jupyter Notebook, the Economist on Amazon, Jeff Bezos’ annual shareholder letter, smart TV exploit via DVB channel, Vertu, the UK Asian Underground 20 years on, NYT ask if London will fall?
- 13 – The Internet is Lost (07.04.17): The trolls have won and the ‘splinternet’ is coming, Deep Learning for photo style transfer, dlib, Dyson, ESPN, Ford, why US truck drivers are running out of road, BDD, Roland, Brexit monolingual challenge, why MAGA is “a three-act play in only four words ”
- 12 – Agnotology (28.03.17): Agnotology or the deliberate production of fake news, Brexit fantasists, Michel Foucault and the study of power, blockchain, DeepMind, video AI startup Matroid, Deep Neural Nets, modularity and microservices, the Economist on Microsoft, Netflix, Stockholm, Benedict Evans on the second order effects of driverless cars, Python for big data, Python Fire for the command line, computing pi using the Indian method, the indignities of age.
- 11 – Amazon Attacks (21.07.17): SVOD, Bezos as Digital Shiva the destroyer of worlds, Adrian Rosebrock on leveraging ImageNet models from Keras, Fossil, Evrythng, why Ring is the killer consumer IoT product, Techmeme, inhumane workplaces, Daniel Dennett, the importance of open-mindedness and the closed minds of the Brexit sheeple.
- 10 – Complexity (14.03.17): the inevitability of complexity, the Eye is an Android phone in an iPhone smart case, Trump as evidence for the Simulation Hypothesis, Kaggle and GCP, Andrew Ng leaving Baidu, Stewart Lee on smart TV paranoia, Wikileaks and tech paranoia, pull requests and code reviews, Cython internals, growing a language, America from the Chateau Marmont to the Maine Woods.
- 9 – Can Democracy Survive AI? (07.03.17): On Digital Totalitarianism and the filter bubble, TensorFlow 1.0, AI in fashion, Netflix’s dynamic optimizer, Machine Learning on Android Wear, the Gemini PDA is a reboot of the Psion 5, Agile QA and a quantitative analysis of the sadness of Radiohead.
- 8 – Making America Great Again (28.02.17): MAGA, Russian collusion, technological unemployment, the Halo bias, the brokenness of tech hiring, Brexit fears, the Fermi Paradox.
- 7 – The Facebook Manifesto (23.02.17): Why Zuckerberg for President is a bad thing, AI everywhere not any stop to think, AWS AI blog, blue collar coding, beyond the data lake, why you should leave the office on time, Theresa May’s Empire of the Mind, saudade, of time and loss, how your personality drifts in the wind of life.
- 6 – American Unicorn (14.02.17): Why Donald Trump is the ultimate unicorn, TensorFlow 1.0, Machine Learning on hardware devices, image recognition at Facebook, AWS Rekognition, how to build a data science team, Kodi, Grizzly Steppe, China mobile trends, smartphones are over, code poetry, places lost and found
- 5 – Digital Canute (07.02.17): Why Trump can no more hold back automation than Canute could the waves, the fear of terrorism trumps that of technological unemployment, the reality of global refugee flows, Boston Dynamics’ latest nightmare robot, machine learning and music, the nightclub of the future, Schneier on IoT security, RIP Club Penguin, the holographic universe, high performing teams and the transition from manager to leader.
- 4 – American Golem (30.01.17): Trump as cowboy and modern golem, a monster made from our own digital clay aided and abetted by big data, an RNN generates speech, Amazon’s Hollywood ambitions, Alexa growth, an example Alexa app built using FlaskAsk, modularity, agile and shipping containers, Mike Oldfield 44 years on.
- 3 – Exceptionalism (21.01.17): Trump’s dark vision, on exceptionalism, connected car platforms, AI trends, Google’s Ara dream is over, Xiaomi’s connected home dream is beginning albeit without Hugo Barra, Go, ReactJS and the case for job stories rather than user stories.
- 2 – The Uncertainty Principle (14.01.17): Populism, technological unemployment, the 12 types of AI, Andy Rubin’s Essential, why Alexa will own voice, radical candour, some great career advice for younger developers and why retention should be any manager’s number 1 metric.
- 1 – The Future and Its Enemies (07.01.17): Political atomisation and the G-zero world, how WWIII could happen by mistake, the US and lessons from globalization. US companies in China, Deep Learning review, serverless, CES review, on the ruination of things.