Below are links to all the 2018 weekly digest roundup posts grouped with high level seasonal themes along with summary highlights from each.
- 68 – The Elephant In The Room (30.09.18)
- 67 – Technical Debt (20.09.18)
- 66 – Nobody Knows Anything (30.08.19)
- 65 – Losing Earth (16.08.18)
- 64 – AWS as a Service (31.07.18):
- 63 – Ways to think about Machine Learning (15.07.18):
- 62 – Civic Tech (30.06.18):
- 61 – Deep Learning Appraisal (07.06.18):
- 60 – Open Your Mind (30.05.18):
- 59 – The Arrow of Time (20.05.18):
- 58 – Dumb Sucks (09.05.18): Our complicity in Facebook’s privacy crisis, who owns our data?, Jeff Bezos’ 6 pagers, the teachability or not of high standards, the growth of online retail, Lighthouse home security camera, Lobe deep learning, awesome collection of Python articles, documentation, WebAssembly, history of the resume, zero hours work cultures, US student visa decline under Trump, mass surveillance and the dang’an, Stephen Hawking’s last paper.
- 57 – What the World Needs (30.04.18): Why the default outcome on climate change is doom, Amazon rising with home speakers, robots and now Fire TVs, Bezos, high standards and the 2PT model, the UK is lagging in industrial robots, avoiding distractions, Tim Urban on careers, graph theory with Python, Flipboard engineering blog, Adrian Cockcroft on mapping your tech stack, Brexit economic fantasies.
- 56 – Remaking the Internet (20.04.18): Jaron Lanier on remaking internet, the joy of coding, impact investment, Amazon Key, the flip-phone revival, the Factory of the Future, what was the first programming language written in?, the remarkable rise of Jupyter, how Tim Cook was persuaded to join Apple, giving better feedback, founder myths, getting more women into Engineering, an enzyme that eats plastic, the Silurian Hypothesis, 2001 50 years on.
- 55- A Question of Trust (08.04.18): Why it’s better to be trusted than liked, Amazon’s relentless growth, the futility of Donald Trump’s ‘war’ with Amazon, Ben Evans on the standard model of autonomous vehicles, tensorflow.js, a Black Mirror person-blocker implemented in TensorFlow, GCP update, how babies learn, reputation inflation, manager as role model, Shturmovshchina,using BeautifulSoup to analyse your Facebook data, the best programming languages to learn in 2018, HAL’s voice, the case for protopia, Trump’s real crime is failing to bridge divides, the madman theory.
- 54 – Tech Ethics (31.03.18): Silicon Valley and the oath of silence, contrasting Zuckerberg and Jobs on privacy, how the Facebook scandal is the ‘A-bomb’ moment for computing but not in China which is rushing forward into digital Orwellianism, consumer caution on home speaker privacy, Deep Learning state of the nation and capsule networks, code review best practice from Palantir, the agile engineering manager, the extraordinary lamassu of Trafalgar Square.
- 53 – I drink your Milkshake (24.03.18): Facebook and the Cambridge Analytica scandal as a disaster long in the making, if social media data is the new oil Zuckerberg is the new Daniel Plainview, Theranos, Amazon’s Kiva robots, crummy machine jobs for humans, Steve Jobs on Marketing, Yahoo, Shanzai phones, climate change and grey infrastructure, Trump on trade makes no sense at all, El Paquete, human craving, Jeff Buckley.
- 52 – Facebook the Memorius (17.03.18): Facebook and all the data it has on you, weaning yourself of your smartphone addiction, Amazon’s bottomless appetite and digital brutalism in design, random stow and fulfillment centres, Amazon Video in numbers, Spotify IPO, Twilio Flex, smart locks, agile at Ableton, Rust in action, Simulation Hypothesis, the death of Stephen Hawking and why death is a growth business.
- 51 – The New Luddism (10.03.18): Why 2018 will be the year of the neo-luddite, the Unabomber Manifesto, the four horsemen of the software apocalypse and why you should write less software, Instacart’s lore deep learning framework, the Python machine learning stack, TensorFlow crash course, AI and art, Amazon HQ2, front door tech, the Nokia Communicator 20 years on, ElasticSearch, Google’s pernicious promo circus and Sinofsky’s response on performance management, the Peter Principle, why MBAs are killing your economy, Brexit, the British class system and Suez.
- 50 – The Long Now (28.02.18): The clock of the Long Now, George Harrison and the Art of Dying, Alexa as a new industry vertical, IoT is mostly boring, advice for managers, credential creep, the contribution curve, the importance of grit and asking questions, Brexit and the Customs Union, walking into old age, mass mortality events, Rubik’s cube at 40.
- 49 – Facebook Troll (20.02.18): Facebook’s two years of hell, Russian trolls, Flipboard, the importance of decentralisation, hyperparameter fiddling, Netflix and the internet of taste, Dyson’s electric car, Google Pixel phone, Sinofsky on Apple, China as a tech superpower, behavioural interviewing and TMAATW, Suster on scaling, death by plastic in the Anthropocene, how blogging has changed, the wonder of Jeff Goldblum.
- 48 – DIY AlphaGoZero (13.02.18): An AlphaGoZero implementation in Python, a neural network in 12 lines of Python, bias-variance tradeoff, Douglas Hofstader on the shallowness of Google Translate, more deep learning skepticism, automation dystopia or not, Logstash, ElasticCache + Kibana, Amazon Prime, Go and Key, GDPR, Apple at 40, Operaatio Elop, how computers work, the future past, Chinese surveillance tech, diversity.
- 47 – The Voynich Manuscript (06.02.18): The Voynich Manuscript meets AI, a deep learning network built with Keras, AlphaGoZero, fake Coachella, Alexa at the SuperBowl, Amazon’s dominance, HQ2, MyCroft AI, engineering management, Facebook in Cambodia, Twitterbots, ICO, open and closed tech, life expectancy, nationalism, why we forget the books we’ve read.
- 46 – The Legend of the Mighty Fall (28.01.18): Mark E. Smith and the Mighty Fall, crawling robot baby, murder by machine learning, the Silicon Valley Culture Wars, disinformation, the internet of Ring, Steve Yegge on leaving Google, passion at work, Brexit woes, Trump’s irreverence in the face of America First, why we are two minutes to midnight as a species.
- 45 – Post-Work (21.01.18): Of technological unemployment and the sixth great extinction, UBI and Millennials, Deep Learning skepticism, AWS as a low-code platform, Amazon Go, InSpectre, fake voice, the Bitcoin bubble, why you shouldn’t capitalise your software development costs, the beauty of Peter Norvig’s spelling corrector.
- 44 – Chatbot Winter (14.01.18): Chatbots in the trough of disillusion with Facebook M’s shutdown, Alexa’s inroads with third party manufacturers, Google tactron 2 text to speech technology, mycroft.ai switching to Deep Speech, Deep Mind health initiative, advances in Machine Learning in 2017, deep learning infrastructure at Facebook, robot farming, GitOps, CES and the Hoover Dam, the Silicon Valley backlash that isn’t but dark developments that are and digital detox.
- 43 – Of Superhuman Order (07.01.18): The teleology of transhumanism, total surveillance and agnotology, Deep Learning skepticism, capsule networks, computers that can predict death, reaction to Spectre and Meltdown, mastering Python according to Quora, trunk-based development, join the FSF, Adobe Jesus and why there’s never been a better time to be single.